Effective January 03, 2022
The following document describes how Presence Publisher collects and uses your personal data.
Which data is collected?
Presence Publisher regularly collects information about your device location in the background, even if it is not running. The following information is collected:
- Whether the currently connected Wi-Fi network name matches a list of network names that you have configured.
- Whether any Bluetooth beacon that you have configured is in range of your Android device.
- If you explicitly choose to send this information, your last known location and currently connected Wi-Fi network name is collected.
Presence Publisher does not store your GPS location. It also does not store any information about Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth beacons which are not explicitly configured by you.
Once configured, Presence Publisher collects this information repeatedly with a configurable time period, but at least every 60 minutes. This collection happens even when the app is not running.
Presence Publisher does not collect any data that would allow correlating the processed data as mentioned above to you as the user of the app.
How is your data used?
Presence Publisher uses the location information to send notification messages. These notifications are sent to an MQTT broker that you have specified.
The following notifications based on your location can be configured:
- If the currently connected Wi-Fi network name matches a network that you have configured, the message configured for this network will be sent.
- If a Bluetooth beacon that you have configured is in range, the message configured for this beacon will be sent.
- If neither of the above conditions match, and you have requested a notification for this situation, the message configured for this situation will be sent.
Presence Publisher only uses this information to send corresponding messages to your MQTT broker.
In addition to these messages which are sent depending on your location, you can also choose to send direct location information such as your current Wi-Fi name and your GPS location. This information is only collected to be sent in these MQTT messages. Apart from logging (see next paragraph), it is not otherwise processed, stored or passed on.
For debugging purposes, Presence Publisher stores an internal log. This log includes:
- your configured Bluetooth beacons and Wi-Fi network names
- times when you are connected to a configured Wi-Fi network, together with its name
- times when you are in range of a configured Bluetooth beacon, together with its name
- messages which have been sent to your MQTT Broker. Please note: If you configured those values to be sent, the log will also contain the currently connected Wi-Fi name and the last known location.
This log information can be viewed from within Presence Publisher, but is not accessible from the outside. Presence Publisher will keep logs for 7 days. It will automatically delete logs older than 7 days.
You can choose to export the log information into a file. This will cause all log entries currently retained in Presence Publisher to be written to the external storage. Once written, this file is no longer modified. In particular, no new entries will be added. The exported log file is accessible by other apps and will not be cleaned up automatically.
How is your data shared?
Presence Publisher will never share any personal information with any third party. Especially, it will never upload information about your device location to any server other than the MQTT broker that you have configured.
Your rights and choices
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to request and receive all personal data processed by this app. In addition, you have the right to update and correct as well as delete this data. Furthermore, you have the right to withdraw your consent for processing the data either by disabling the corresponding checkbox in the app settings or by uninstalling the app. Please note that the app will not be able to offer its full functionality in this case.
To exercise your rights and choices, please use the contact method below.
Any more questions?
If you have any questions on how your data is processed or if you want to exercise your rights
and choices regarding the processed data, please contact me (the author of the app) at
Messages and contact data of such requests will only be stored for the purpose of processing them and will be deleted 30 days after the communication ends or at latest after 6 months.